Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Osem's Bissli Yalla

As with the Must Apple Flavored Cube Gum post from the other day, I know I'm a little late posting about this Yalla Bisli snack you may have tried it by now, but this is another one of a few posts I was able to salvage from my broken laptop. Since it was written and ready to go I figured I'll post it just in case there were people out there who would be interested in reading it

 I still don't have a new laptop but hope to have one very soon. Once I do I should be able to get back into the swing of posting on a more regular basis. Till then thank you for your patience

אסם יאללה ביסלי 
Osem Bissli has a new line on the market that they are calling "Yalla". Currently there are three flavors to choose from; Natural, American Barbeque and Spicy. Osem intends on adding other flavors in the future.

Yalla is a popular slang word that basically means "let's go" or "come on"; depending how it's used in the conversation. Like many slang words I find it a little bit difficult to pin point the exact translation of the word but that’s the gist of it. I'm really not sure how or why Osem thought Yalla was the right name for this line of Bissli. I don’t get the connection, but OK, I'm not here to discuss the name, I am here to tell you what I thought of the Yalla Bissli Snacks that I tasted.



As opposed to all other Bissli snacks where each flavor is a different shape, all three Yalla Bissli snacks are the same shape; thin, flat, squares that are about 2.5-3 cm. each. I guess after the HUGE success Osem had with their thin, flat pretzels last year they thought why not try flattening another one of our most popular snacks and see if people like it as much as they loved the pretzels.

One day at the supermarket they were giving out samples of this new product. I tasted the spicy and natural flavored ones in the store. The spicy one wasn’t all that hot 'n spicy at first but it did have a kick to it. A full bag of it may be too spicy for some kids. The natural one was fairly bland in comparison. I thought mixing the two together would balance them out and make for a flavorful snack. Since I didn't love either of those too much and Bissli is not my "go to" snack to start with I decided to only buy the one flavor I didn’t get to taste in the store, the American Barbeque flavor.

I actually thought it was the "best of the bunch". It was flavorful yet not hot 'n spicy at all. It reminded me of the classic Bissli Barbeque flavor. That’s not to say I think either of them taste anything like "American Barbeque", but then again what Bissli snack really taste like its name sake?     

In the press release I read, the Osem representative is quoted as saying that these thin flat Bissli are the "lighter & airier" version of the regular Bissli snacks. She said they are intended for those who want a "less dense" Bissli. Regardless of how thin they may make Bissli the last thing that comes to my mind when I think of this deep fried snack is "light & airy". But I would say the Yalla Bissli are less hard and easier to bite into than the classic Bissli snacks but far from light 'n airy in my opinion.

Bottom Line: If you like Bissli snacks you'll probably enjoy the taste of this new line as well. Flavor wise there was nothing all that exciting and new to tell you about. In my opinion thin, flat Yalla Bissli is just a gimmick and not necessarily the most successful one. I think kids will miss the different fun 3D shapes of the classic Bissli line. Maybe I'm a kid at heart because although Bissli is not my favorite snack even I kind of missed the shapes and crunchiness as I was eating the Yalla Bissli. Light 'n Airy is far from the words I would use to describe this oily & fried Yalla Bissli line. This isn’t a snack I plan on buying again.

70 gram bag 3.59 NIS

Kosher Parve Badatz

Disclaimer: All items were purchased by me. No one is paying me for this review. All opinions are my own

2 comments:

  1. Sounds to me like it's basically a glorified corn chip kinda snack that they r trying to make ppl think is more exciting than it is by giving it a "cool" name

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I think you are right, good point.

    It must be hard to get people excited about a product like Bissli that's been around for so long!

    ReplyDelete