Thursday, August 18, 2011

Post's Mini Cinnamon Churros Cereal

צ'ורוס דגני בוקר של פוסט
Because of the price of most imported cereals, I hesitated buying this new Post cereal that I found on the store shelf called Mini Cinnamon Churros. When I saw it "on sale" for 17.00 NIS instead of about 24.00 NIS I decided to give it a try.

I never had the opportunity to taste an authentic freshly fried Churro so I can't compare this cereal to "the real thing" but as with say Post's Waffle Crisp Cereal I'm assuming it's more that they took "inspiration" from the Churro to make this cereal and not that they tried to "box up" the Churro itself.


Dry without milk, I thought Post's Churros cereal was exactly what the box described it to be "Crunchy sweetened wheat cereal with real cinnamon".

They compare it to Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cereal, but given that the Churros cereal is made up of fairly large, round, 3D shaped cereal pieces, I find it hard to compare it to a thin flat cereal like Cinnamon Toast Crunch. I personally much prefer the shape and size of this Churros cereal to that of Cinnamon Toast Crunch, but I do understand the comparison given that they are both a sweetened cinnamon cereals.

Since the Churros cereal was very crunchy to start with, it remained fairly crunchy even when I added milk. I enjoyed that the center of the pieces got softer yet the cereal didn't go completely soggy. The change in texture made it closer to what I imagine a real "doughnut like" Churro would taste like, but like I said, I don’t know for sure.

The cereal pieces have quite a bit of cinnamon on them, so much so, that the longer they sat in the milk the more the milk became completely sprinkled with cinnamon.   

As with most sugary cereals I thought it was more of a snack than a meal.

Even though, as I said, the added milk somewhat changed the texture and therefore the "eating experience" for me, I enjoyed this cereal both with and without milk.


Post Mini Cinnamon Churros Cereal has 9 added vitamins and minerals including iron, B vitamins, 10% of the suggested daily value of vitamin D and 15% of the suggested daily value of vitamin A. On the negative side it has 10 grams sugar per serving which makes it quite sweet but the added milk did seem to curb the sweetness to some extent.

Bottom Line: I highly doubt that Post's Mini Cinnamon Churros Cereal tastes anything close to the freshly fried Spanish doughnut treat it's named after but I thought it was a fun sweet cinnamon cereal and I enjoyed it. 

Box of 411 grams - 17.00 NIS on sale - normally 24.00 NIS   

Kosher Parve OK approved by Chief Rabbinate of Israel


Disclaimer: All items were purchased by me. No one is paying me for this review. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment