Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Nestlé Fitness Cereal with Strawberries

נסטלה דגני בוקר פיטנס - תותים
Nestlé Fitness's latest addition to the cereal aisle is a limited edition whole wheat and rice cereal with big slices of real strawberries that were freeze dried in a new and innovative method in order to preserve the taste of fresh strawberries. Once milk is poured into the cereal the strawberries should plump back up and taste like you just added fresh sliced strawberries to the bowl.

As I think I've mentioned in a past cereal review or two, I much prefer cereals dry, as a snack than with milk, but this Nestlé Fitness cereal is not really intended to be eaten dry, the large slices of freeze dried strawberries just do not taste good without milk. So I tasted it with milk.

The whole wheat and rice flakes are nice and big. They remained crunchy and did not go soggy in the milk. That’s always a plus in my book. I thought the cereal flakes were tasty, but that’s not what's new about this cereal.

The strawberries did plump back up after a minute or two in the milk. I'm not sure if they colored the milk a slight pink shade or more likely that came from the small clusters of cereal that are coated in a wild-berry flavor. Regardless of the "culprit" it wasn’t so aesthetically pleasing to me, but it may not bother everyone.

Although they are "real and natural" I would not say they tasted like fresh strawberries. To me they tasted like a soggy artificial strawberry. Then again the artificial flavor could possibly have come from the powdered fruits on the clusters, I mentioned before. Maybe Fitness should have just left those clusters out all together, because I didn’t particularly enjoy how much that flavor overpowered the milk and cereal as a whole.

This new Nestlé Fitness Strawberries Cereals is geared toward women who want a healthy, satisfying and low fat cereal with 12 vitamins and minerals that are important for women; like folic acid and calcium.

Bottom Line: I think Nestlé Fitness had a good idea in wanting to add real strawberries to their cereal but for me this freeze drying process didn't do the trick. For now if I want cereal and milk for breakfast I'll stick with Kellogg's Special K Oats & Honey Cereal and I may possibly add in some fruit. So far I don’t think there's a good replacement for slicing fresh fruit into a bowl of cereal and enjoying it the way "nature" intended.


360 gram box – 26.00 NIS

Kosher Dairy- Bait Din Paris France approved by Chief Rabbinate Israel
אבקת חלב נוכרי - בית דין פאריס ובאישור הרבנות הראשית לישראל

Disclaimer: All items were purchased by me. No one is paying me for this review. All opinions are my own.


         

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you, I'd stick with fresh strawberries... especially at this time of year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tori
    Your right there is nothing like fresh fruit especially in its season. I got some cherries the other day and they were just so amazingly delicious. Not that I added them to cereal they were to wonderful on their own:)

    ReplyDelete