Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Elite's 60% Cocoa Solids Bittersweet Chocolate Coated Wafer Fingers

I've been very critical of Elite wafers in the past but, considering how much I love dark chocolate I couldn't resist trying the new Elite 60% Cocoa Solids Dark Chocolate Coated Wafer Finger. I half expected to hate them but I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed them.

עלית אצבעות ופל בציפוי שוקולד מריר 60%

I think the main reason I liked them was because the chocolate coating tasted very much like Elite's "Parah" 60% cocoa solids chocolate bar. Although thats far from the best quality chocolate bar on the market I think it's one of the less expensive yet fairly decent bittersweet chocolate bars sold here ,so I've grown to like it and enjoy the strong bittersweet chocolaty taste it has. The chocolate coating on these new wafers have that same bittersweet cocoa taste.

I didn’t love the layer of chopped hazelnuts between the coating and the wafer but I'm sure many people will enjoy the extra flavor and texture it adds.

The wafer itself was perfectly fine. I never have a major issue with the wafer part of Elite's wafers; it's usually the filling that I find to be too grainy and chalky.

I recently heard someone on the radio mention that he went on a tour of the Elite wafer factory with his child. They watched as they made chocolate filled wafer. He said the filling of most Elite wafers is made of the "unusable" thin wafer part ground up and mixed into the cocoa powder mixture to make a chocolate flavor filling. I don’t know if all wafer companies do the same thing but since I heard that, I've been wondering if maybe that’s why I feel the filling of regular Elite wafers are too grainy and I don’t really enjoy them.

Seeing as this seems to be a "fancier" wafer finger and not their "run of the mill" line, I don’t think they did that with this wafer. The filling didn't seem grainy or chalky to me. Instead I thought these wafers had a rich, chocolaty and creamy filling. The package says the wafers are filled with a truffle and nut filling. I think that makes a huge difference for me and I was really happy it didn’t taste grainy at all.

Bottom Line: I think this Elite 60% Cocoa Solids Chocolate Coated Wafer Finger lives up to what Elite "promised" it to be. I did enjoy the wafer, the coating and the filling. I should mention that Loacker has a similar finger on the market, theirs seems to be a little bit of a better quality wafer all around.  That having been said, I still think this Elite wafer finger would be a nice, rich treat to enjoy with a hot drink at the end of a meal, from time to time. I just wish it was nondairy, but for some reason many bittersweet chocolate items do have milk in them as well.

120 gram box of Wafers – 11.99 NIS

Kosher Dairy Rabbinate Nazareth-Illit 




Disclaimer: All items were purchased by me. No one is paying me for this review. All opinions are my own.






4 comments:

  1. These look sooooooo yummy

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Anonymous :)
    Yeah they turned out to be a pleasant surprise to me - let me know what u think if/when you try them:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So we tasted these wafers;) They're pretty good ;) I enjoyed them but did find the end of it to be chalky... my 3 year old told me its yummy and that it tastes like coffee ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool that you got to taste them and for the most part you enjoyed them :)
    Glad your daughter liked them as well:)

    ReplyDelete