Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Osem and Bagel Bagel's Shavuot Crackers

Cheese and crackers are one of the staples for many Shavuot tables, so both Bagel Bagel and Osem have new crackers on the shelf just in time for the Holiday.


Osem has two new crackers with festive flower decorated wrappers. First we have a Wheat Cracker with Sesame & Roman Coriander Seeds and the second one is a Lightly Salted Cereal Grain Cracker. 

The Wheat Cracker with Sesame & Roman Coriander Seeds is a very dry cracker, but I guess it would be a good "base cracker" for a dip or a cheese spread. It was crispy and crunchy, just the way a cracker should be.

The sesame and roman-coriander (black cumin) seeds do add a bit of texture and a drop of flavor to the cracker, but not much. I'd say that’s a good thing because the seeds won't really interfere with whatever you spread on the cracker.

Bottom Line: I think the Wheat Cracker with Sesame & Roman Coriander Seeds was a perfectly fine, dry cracker. I didn’t think it was anything out of the ordinary or extra special.

Kosher Parve Badatz

170 gram package – 6.99 NIS


אסם קרקר דגנים במלוחות עדינה

The Lightly Salted Cereal-Grain Cracker was a more interesting cracker. It was very lightly salted, when I ate it alone I thought it actually could have used a bit more salt but if you're going to add cheese or a dip its probably better that it's so lightly salted.

This cracker was more crumbly and more oily than the Wheat Cracker with Sesame and Roman Coriander Seeds.

I thought the cereal-grains and seeds in this Lightly Salted Cereal-Grain Cracker made it a very interesting and enjoyable cracker. They added a different texture and a nice flavor to the cracker.

Bottom Line: I found the Lightly Salted Cereal-Grain Cracker tasty, somewhat unique and rich. I think it would be nice with cheese or dips but I also enjoyed eating on its own.

Both Osem Crackers have no artificial food coloring in them.

Kosher Parve Badatz

165 gram package – 6.99 NIS


בייגל בייגל קרקר
חיטה מלאה בנגיעות דבש

And finally we have a Whole-Wheat Cracker with a touch of Honey from Bagel Bagel

This is a crispy and crunchy cracker and I think it’s the perfect thickness; not too thick and not too thin. Sort of like the other Bagel Bagel whole wheat cracker from their "Neshnushim" line, which I like.

The other day, at the supermarket, they were giving out samples of this cracker with a sharp cheddar cheese, if I remember correctly. I actually enjoyed the combination of the sharp cheese with this sweeter cracker. The flavors seemed to work well together. But then when I tasted this cracker at home, without cheese, I didn’t really enjoy it.

I understand what Bagel Bagel was thinking when they were developing this cracker. And I get why they débuted it now, right before Shavuot. It can be a wonderful addition to a wine and cheese party.

Although it's not an overly sweet cracker the honey flavor is present, so those who enjoy a "honey sweet" flavor will be happy to have another new cracker option.

Bagel Bagel's Whole-Wheat with a touch of Honey crackers have no artificial food coloring, no preservatives, no trans-fats and no cholesterol.  

Bottom Line: Although I like sweet/savory combos, there was something about this cracker on its own that just didn’t hit it out of the park for me. If I was having a wine and cheese party I would put this cracker on the table, among other crackers, but otherwise I think I'll give this Whole-Wheat with a touch of Honey Cracker a miss.

300 gram bag 12.79 NIS

Kosher Badatz




Disclaimer: All items were purchased by me. No one is paying me for this review. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment