Monday, April 4, 2011

OfTov's Olive Oil Turkey-Breast Deli-Meat



Update: Of Tov won a Product of the YearAwards 2013 for their line of low fat olive oil cold cuts. I am not sure but I think this product may be considered part of that line
 
OfTov is trying to keep up in the extremely competitive cold-cut/deli-meat department, so they have developed a new product; Turkey-Breast Cold-Cut with Olive Oil.

There are 2 olive oil enriched deli-meat options; Turkey-Breast and Turkey-Breast with Herbs. I tasted the one without the herbs.

I enjoyed OfTov's new Olive Oil Turkey-Breast Cold-Cut. It tasted like a low fat "real" turkey-breast deli-meat, but in actuality it's not low fat. Low fat cold-cut turkey-breast normally has 18 calories a slice; this OfTov cold-cut has 23 calories per slice. Yes the fat is from olive oil, which is a healthier oil, that has many health benefits but it's still not a "low fat" deli-meat.

I was happy to read that there was no MSG, no gluten, no food coloring and no trans-fats. I did think it had a "healthy" taste, but I mean that in a good way.  It didn’t feel like I was eating "junk meat". 

Had it not said on the package that it was made with olive oil, I would never have known. It has a "fresh & clean" turkey-breast taste but there was nothing special or unique about the taste. The meat did not have an "olive-oil" flavor.

I would prefer if the turkey was sliced a bit thinner, but that's really not a big deal.   

I understand "cold-cut meats" is a competitive department which requires "creativity" to get the consumers to choose your product. Just like Tirat Tzvi's Toast-Ready Lunch-Meat attempt.  So it's clear why OfTov is "trying so hard" but…
  
Bottom Line: taste wise, this end result is not "special enough" for me to choose the OfTov Olive-Oil Turkey-Breast over a truly low fat, non MSG, non trans-fat cold-cut.

300 grams – 26.90 NIS

Kosher: Mehadrin
 (אויירבך (

Kosher for Passover No Kitniyot

Disclaimer: All items were purchased by me. No one is paying me for this review. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment